Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Shearing Time!


I don't know why, but this is my favorite time of year. It may be exhausting and busy, my back may hurt, I've nicked my hands a few times, and I think there is still a piece of wool in my right eye- but, I love this time of year!




Besides spending more time with the sheep, goats and alpacas (which is a welcome time for all of us, as we rarely saw eachother during the winter- other than to feed and water. It was a cold and snowy winter...not conducive to playing with farm friends). So, we get quality time together. There is just something about physically shearing a sheep, goat or alpaca that brings one back to their roots. Well, maybe not one's individual roots...I wasn't fortunate enough to grow up on a farm. My grandparents had a small farm...but no sheep. I'm thinking more like the roots of our ancestors...for whome farming was a way of life for them and their neighbors.


This is the first year that I've had electric sheep shears. I've had goat shears...which work great on goats, and okay on alpacas...useless with sheep. So, I've been shearing my sheep for the past 6 years with hand shears and/or sharp scissors. What a delight it is to shear with electric clippers!! I called my mom that first day to tell her that I had sheared 8 sheep in one afternoon!! What you need to understand is it often took me two days to shear one sheep by hand. Today I even sheared my first alpaca. His first time being sheared as well- the two of us made quite a team. I was rather proud of myself, but poor Sam was horrified. (by the way- to the dear friend that told me that alpacas only spit at eachother and not at people- that may be true- unless you are the person who is restraining them and shearing them- they DO spit at people! LOL). We did finally come to an agreement, I'd shear quick if he'd stop spitting green goop at me. Sam is shorn, not that pretty show cut that you see on people's website. More like the cut that a 3 year old does the first time they find scissors left in their reach. Let's put it this way...when I put him back in the pen and the other alpacas came over to check out his "new do" He spit at them! I can only assume they were laughing at him, and he wasn't at all amused. He'll get his payback, though, they all have the same barber!


The goats didn't look half bad- I've gotten good at them, and they are much more willing to stand still and let me cut. The sheep looked better than last year, and only the first few suffered clipper nicks. Overall, I'm pleased with my shearing. Not fancy, but effective.


Now my wool is moving its way from the wash sink, to the dye pot, and eventually on to the trampoline. Yes, the trampoline. Much to my children's chagrin, the trampoline makes the idea wool drying tool. Large, raised from the ground and black to attract the sun, the trampoline is made of some sort of a woven material, so it allows the wool to breath underneath, and dries it in record time! Don't worry, kids, in a few weeks you'll have your trampoline back!

2 comments:

Yellow Jacket Ridge Angoras said...

Bravo! Well done. We tried to shear our first year ourselves. Poor goats....so we now have a professional shearer. You should be proud of yourself.

Minh Han said...

I had never considered using the TRAMPOLINE for drying my newly washed wool, but it makes absolutely perfect sense! Thanks for the great tip. I'm at this very moment washing my first-ever batch of sheep wool, and I'm soo excited! Ok, call me a dork, but there's something so...organic about doing this sort of thing, even though I realize the time I spend on doing all of this is infinitely more than my day job as a doctor.