Sunday, January 18, 2009

Mending Fences


'CommunityI always wondered, when watching western movies, why the cowboys spent so much time mending fences. C'mon, you put the fence up and your good forever, aren't you? Oh, no, you never are finished. I hate fixing fences. It took me forever to figure out how to install this fence in the first place. While I use cattle panels at home for the goats, I couldn't afford to fence in 4 acres with panels. I bought a fence charger and a bunch of electric fencing stuff, and went to it. I made a few mistakes along the way- including finding out how strong the charge is when I, without thinking, touched the bolt coming out of the charger while the charger was on (prior to attaching the fence). I guess that is one way to find out the charger does work!

I found out that, yes, they do mean it when they tell you you need more than one ground pole, the ground pole needs to be long, and the ground pole needs to be somewhere where it is wet. I found out that you do need to trim the brush around the fence, branches will fall on the fence during a storm and you actually have to walk to fence line right after the storm, or your animals may go for a long walk and the neighbors will not be happy for the visitors.

I found out that sheep cannot feel the shock through their wool, horses don't like to be shocked and once is enough to keep them far from the fence and anything that resembles an electric fence for the next 30 years. Goats will be somewhat respectful of electric fence ( as I now know to introduce each new animal to the shock of the fence before setting them free). Teenage boys LIKE to touch the fence or dare eachother to touch the fence, all to see what will happen and show how "tough" they are.

I learned to turn off the charger before fixing the fence. I learned that llamas may go through an electric fence to get out of the pasture, but are not so quick to go through that same fence to get back in, no matter how loudly you shake the grain bucket. Sheep go both ways- out or in, if there is food involved, who cares about a little zap.

But, most of all, I found out that the cowboys were always mending fences because fences always need mending. I spent a lovely time out in the snow (with my leg in its imobilizer brace) hobbling around mending first the electric fence (which the llamas went out of but didn't care to walk across to get back in) as well as repairing the back up fence (cattle wire, going around the outskirts of the property) that keeps any fence skippers from visiting the rest of the neighborhood.

No comments: